“Claypot” Chicken and Shiitake Mushrooms with Rice – 北菇滑雞煲仔飯priss | August 21, 2012
Attempting the impossible tonight — cooking the traditional Cantonese dish Chicken and Shitake Mushrooms with Rice, NOT in a claypot, but in an enameled cast-iron dutch oven.
不用傳統砂煲，用enameled cast-iron dutch oven來煮北菇滑雞煲仔飯!!!!!!!
It was a huge success!!! *Nom nom nom* Even baby G kept asking for more & more & more… =D
“Claypot” Chicken and Shiitake Mushrooms with Rice – 北菇滑雞煲仔飯
Chicken thighs (4), shiitake mushrooms, broccoli, onion (1 – sliced most of it and diced the remaining), ginger, garlic, scallions, rice (I used 2 cups of Basmati brown rice cooked with 2 cups of water), soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili flakes (tiny bits), sesame oil, brown sugar, corn starch, cooking sake
1. Soak the washed rice in water for 20 mintues. Meanwhile, marinate the chicken in soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, and corn starch, and cooking sake. Soak the mushrooms in water until soft.
2. Cook the rice directly in the dutch oven. Once it comes to a boil, lower the heat and let it simmer covered until it’s done. It took me 25 minutes. If you use white rice it’d be ready faster.
3. Meanwhile, lightly boil the broccoli in salt water and set aside.
4. Steam the mushrooms in a sauce of soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and brown sugar. It took me 10 minutes.
5. Now prep for the most important ingredient of this classic Cantonese dish — the sauce. In the sauce pan, add some oil and fry the diced onions, garlic, scallions, and chili flakes until fragrant. Add some cooking sake and then add soy sauce and brown sugar. Turn off the heat and adjust the flavor to your liking.
6. In a separate sauce pan, add some oil and fry the sliced onions and the remaining garlic until onions turn soft. Season with lots of black pepper. Yumm~
7. When the rice is done, layer the cooked onions, marinated chicken, cooked mushrooms, and top with ginger and green onions. Cook on low heat with lid for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
8. Once it’s done, add in the broccoli and the sauce. Mix and serve.
That’s it. So yummy!