Baked Spaghetti with Meat Sauce Recipe ~ 芝士焗肉醬意粉priss | September 1, 2010
Made this dish back in July and I’m craving for it now after looking at the pictures. MmMmm~ Baked spaghetti with meat sauce (芝士焗肉醬意粉) is one of the classic dishes in a Cha chaan teng (茶餐廳) ~ a type of Chinese cafe that can be found in almost every corner of Hong Kong. There are quite a number of them here in Vancouver too, but I haven’t found one that can really make it in the authentic Hong Kong style that Beau and I love.
So I decided to make my own!
Baked Spaghetti with Meat Sauce Recipe ~ 芝士焗肉醬意粉食譜
Spaghetti ~ as much as you want. =p
Tomato paste ~ 1 can
Tomatoes ~ 1 small – diced
Onion ~ 1 small – diced
Ground beef ~ I used lean ground turkey
Mozzarella cheese ~ shredded
Salt, pepper, brown sugar, olive oil, garlic (finely chopped), and a few drops of Worcestershire sauce
1. In a pan, slightly cook the ground turkey/beef in olive oil, garlic, and onions.
2. Add in tomato paste and tomatoes. Keep stiring.
3. Add salt, pepper, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Taste as you go.
4. Cook until the sauce is reduced and thickened. Set aside.
5. Boil the spaghetti with salt. Drained. Heat up a pan with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss the cooked spaghetti in there to give it a more flavorful taste.
6. In a baking bowl, first layer the spaghetti, then pour the meat sauce on top, and finally cover it with cheese.
7. Bake in a 375F oven until the cheese melts and becomes golden.
For the salad, I took some crunchy, fresh organic lettuce from bo ba’s garden. Sprinkled with croutons that I made from a whole wheat bread. For the salad dressing, I ran out of salad dressing so I became creative — mixed dijon mustard and a final bit of ranch salad dressing, with a bit of lemon juice. Added pepper and a few drops of white truffle oil to finish. It tasted surprisingly delicious!